Interview with Panthia Locklear who is a teacher at the Odum Home
- Can you give us some history of the Odum Home?
- The Odum Home was originally meant for all kids that didn’t have parents.
- Now its for kids who have problems or family problems (mainly for orphans)
- It is to mainly aid the kids: celebrate their birthdays, different activities for Christmas, Easter and other holidays.
- The Odum home is bout 65 years old right now
- It was started by the Baptists
- I have been working at the Odum Home since 1992.
- How has working at the Odum Home affected your own life?
- Working at the Odum home makes me appreciate family more. It makes me realize the ultimate importance of morals and values.
- How does the Odum home relate to the idea of Lumbee kinship?
- The Odum Home affected the lives of the Lumbee people a great deal. Grandparents began to take a more parental role to raise the kids themselves than to drop them on people they didn’t know.