I’ve heard my parents, grandparents, and professors speak over and over about how the Lumbees ran the KKK out of Maxton. However, “When Carolina Indians Went on the Warpath” presents a completely different angle of this same event. In the past, when I thought about the KKK’s run in with the Lumbee, I always viewed it as a Lumbee victory that received national attention and put us on the map. But this article demonstrates that not all of that attention is positive. Many of the newspapers who gave accounts of this event used racist and stereotypical language to describe it which is the exact opposite of what the Lumbees wanted.
Oakley then gives a brief history of the Lumbee people about how they were recognized, then terminated. Next he describes the racial tensions that lead up to the KKK rally at Hayes pond. When the Lumbee heard that a rally would be held, they prepared themselves to fight back by purchasing every gun in the area. This preparation paid off on the night of the rally because several hundred Lumbees came out and the KKK ran off into the trees.
When reading this particular essay, I questioned how the Lumbee felt about the stereotypical warpath portrayal in the media. After speaking with my grandfather, who recalls this event, it doesn’t seem as if anyone noticed it in that way.